09 July 2010

How to: Peanut Sauce

Ordinarily, I am not a fan of salad. It's a side dish! And even then, more often than not, it's a carelessly arranged handful of leaves, laid on the plate as a mere garnish in hopes of being able to justify charging double digits for a meal. This little lady does not eat leaves.

So now I will contradict everything I have just said and tell you about one of my favourite salads. Gado gado is a warm salad from Indonesia, and with an Indo mum, it's kinda hard to avoid it. I like to make it using whatever vegies I have lying around, the potatoes being filling enough to make it a meal. But depending on how many potatoes you use, you can also serve this with rice to make it more substantial. I'm not going to bother with telling you ingredients, cos like I said, you can use whatever veges you have. I don't know if that's how they do it in Indonesia, but that's what I do in my kitchen! Much to the dismay of my hips, peanut sauce is in high rotation on my playlist, as you may have gathered.


Peanut Sauce

2 Tbsp smooth peanut butter
1 tbsp soy sauce
1 tsp sugar
Juice of half a lime
1/4 cup coconut milk
Chilli oil


In a small bowl, mash the peanut butter together with the soy sauce with a fork. You want the soy sauce to merge with the peanut butter to become smooth.

Add the sugar and lime juice and stir. Taste. Does this taste ace to you? If yeah, then add the coconut milk. If nah, you can keep adding more soy, sugar and lime to taste.

Pour in some boiling water to thin it out a bit, about a spoonful at a time, depending on the consistency you want. If you like things spicy, add a couple of drops of chilli oil.

Makes about a cup

How else to enjoy the wonders of peanut sauce, you ask?

Over sesame bok choi, with edamame, mango and avocado summer rolls and stir-fried vegies
With steamed broccoli, sliced tofu and a salad with an orange soy dressing
With mango, tofu and vegetable rice paper rolls
With stir fried vegetables, tofu, cashews and noodles

0 comments:

 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com