05 June 2013

Cooking with Waitrose: The Art of Michelin Star Cooking

I've been eyeing up the different cooking classes that Waitrose offers for quite some time. Unfortunately, I always sit on it for too long and by the time I get around to booking myself into one, the ones that I want are all booked up! Luckily, I was able to snap up the last spot in last Saturday's Michelin star Spring menu class. The class ran from 9.30am - 4.30pm and cost me £160 after a small discount that I received for being a Waitrose card member.

We were greeted with a selection of tea, coffee and pastries and then introduced to the chefs who would be guiding us through the days four courses. For each course, we were lead into a separate kitchen where we could sit and watch the chefs demonstrate how to execute each step, while we made notes in our recipe binders. It was quite intimidating as there were a lot of steps requires for each dish. It was definitely worth it, and I left feeling quite smug now knowing I can (hopefully) put together a beautiful plate of food. Usually my food looks like I've slapped it on the plate with a shovel! Each was eaten after plating (though I took the lamb dish for my boyfriend who declared it amazing) and paired with wine.


First course: chilled asparagus velouté with truffled goats cheese



Second course: seared tuna loin with oriental dressing 



Third course: sous vide loin of lamb, braised shoulder ragout, pea and bacon fricassee and pea purée



Dessert: inverted lemon tart, summer fruit salad, lemon yoghurt sorbet, sesame orange tuile and orange muscat pearls

0 comments:

 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com